Thursday, July 24, 2014

Rain Rain Go Away

It's a fact of life that it rains, so one needs to be prepared for those days that it really pours.  A man can make it through a light sprinkle without issue but when it  really starts to come down there are two things that that every well dressed man needs to combat the elements and they are a decent  raincoat and at least one nice, non-golf, umbrella.

On days that are warm but rainy, a light weight raincoat really comes in handy. Mine is a thin black watch tartan thigh length coat that I snagged for $30 on eBay. I hate wearing black and I could not find a decently priced yellow raincoat that did not make me look like the Gordon's Fisherman. So I started looking for a nice tartan one and black watch is not only my favorite but also the most versatile.  I also have a wooden handle black watch umbrella but I loaned it to a friend at work for the afternoon.

Along with a nice raincoat, all men need a classy umbrella. Tiny collapsible ones belong in a woman's purse and huge golf ones belong on the links and the use of one anywhere else makes you look kind of like a tool.   I actually have three umbrellas; my black watch one that i got for a steal on eBay, this blue liquor company one with a girl on it which was free, and a beautiful spring and summer plaid one that Amanda got for me for my birthday.  I use each different one depending on my outfit and the occasion.  I actually used the one that Amanda bought for me for most of the day, but since I'd already did a post with that one, I decided to break out my first grown-up umbrella which was this free blue one that was given to me by a friend who was a liquor distributor.

Because today was warm but rainy, i decided to forgo seersucker for fear that it may become see through and instead went to my go to light khaki suit that I got from the Goodwill.  To make the rainy day a little more jovial, I threw on this bright pink dress shirt from JC Penney and a blue and pink bowtie that I got as a gift from my in-laws.  Since I do not feel the need to purchase swims, which are rubber shoe protectors, I wore a pair of ox blood tassel loafers that I got at the Goodwill for $5.  Never and I mean never wear your nice dress shoes on a day that you know is going to be rainy, that is a surefire way to ruin them.

Remember you not only need to look good, but you also need to be appropriately dressed for the weather because if you don't, even the nicest clothes in the world will look bad.

1 comment: