Monday, July 14, 2014

Keeping up with the Rokers

Unlike what 50 cent says, summertime the seersucker season and this week is going to be smoking in ol' Virginny so I'm going to be showcasing seersucker outfits all week and if the weather stays in the upper 90s and 100s all next week too.
Seersucker is derived from the Hindi word kheer aur shahhar which means milk and sugar, because the material looks like smooth milk and bumpy sugar due to its weaving process.  This weaving pattern and texture causes seersucker to be drawn away from the body which allows for more air flow and hence the wearer will remain cooler. 
For many years seersucker was only worn by the poor working class  but students at ivy league schools began to wear seersucker and it has been fashionable warm weather apparel, at least in the south, ever since. 
Because it is a warm weather fabric it is customary to only wear seersucker during certain times of the year. Some believe that it should only be worn between memorial day and labor day while others argue for its use between easter and labor. But no matter wear you fall in this great debate, seersucker is a very fun and cool and classy (if done correctly) material for Clothing in the hot summer months. 
As you can obviously tell, I love seersucker! It is by far my favorite type of suit. I like it because it is comfortable and fun because it comes in many different colors. My suit below is an owner seersucker suit by afazzy that I picked up from amazon for less than $200.  It was more than I like to pay but Beleive me its hard to find an orange seersucker suit. 
Like most brightly colored seersucker suit, I decided to pair this one with a simple white shirt.  Because in trying to wear all of my bow ties without wearing the same one twice. I paired this suit with a bright pink bow ties with multicolored dots, one of which was orange. I got the bow your for ten bucks at Marshall's. Because I can I wore a bright pink with white trim pocket square from thetiebar.com that was $8.  
The shoes and socks with this outfit may have been a little much but I had already put the ducks on before I picked out the bow tie and there was no going back.  The shoes are bass weejuns that I scored for $20 at the outlet store. The green white and orange socks were a dollar at goodwill unworn. They really are great for St. Patrick's day but may have been skittle too much color for today's outfit but oh well, live and learn.
Check out tomorrow post for my second s
Seersucker outfit of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment