Thursday, September 11, 2014

Gingham, the All Seasons Pattern

Not all patterns are created equal and in my opinion gingham is one of the very best. Gingham is a uniform check pattern, typically white with one or more other colors that form small squares.   It is currently having a moment in the sun due to a new shirt that JCrew came out with, but do not be afraid of it just because the sloppy, poorly dressed masses have temporarily taken to it. It is still an amazing classic pattern that can be worn to any occasion in any season.
I found this Orvis blazer at the Goodwill for $7.  To keep it true to it's classic preppy roots, I paired it with a simple white Oxford shirt, a red and navy rep stripe bow tie that came from Marshall's for $10 and a pair of tassle loafers by Mark McNairy.  The picture doesn't quite capture it but the loafers are pebble grain leather, which means it has smalls bumps all over it, alike it has goosebumps.  Small subtle details that like is what really brings a person's style out of the minor league and into the majors.  
To spruce up the outfit and make it my own, I went with this vintage silk handkerchief that I "borrowed" from my brother.  I also went with some outlandish red polka dot socks that I got for $3 from Marshall's. 

While I really like this outfit, the best thing in this post was the meal.  Narita's is a sushi place in chester that I've featured in my other blog,  The Gastrological Gentleman.  Its head sushi chef, seen right behind me, is an old friend of mine and he makes a damn good sushi roll.  The food is amazing and the prices are crazy cheap and all rolls are $1 off on Tuesdays. I strongly recommend trying this place out, it's by far the best in the tri-city area.

No comments:

Post a Comment